Falcons Release Veteran Guard Vince Manuwai

by Zeke Trezevant on July 29, 2012

The Atlanta Falcons announced Saturday, the release of veteran guard, Vince Manuwai, who was brought in to compete for the right guard spot that is currently up for grabs.

After signing Manuwai in March, the consensus was that the Falcons have enough talent on the offensive line to make Manuwai expendable.

“In terms of the competition at the offensive line, we didn’t want to muddy the waters,” said head coach Mike Smith. “We feel like we have a real competitive situation across the board at offensive line.”

The Falcons are in the process of figuring out a cohesive starting offensive line for the season, mixing and matching players to find the right fit.

“We are rolling the guys,” said Smith. “They are not going out on first team or second team. We are going to roll them in and out so we can look at the different combinations. Then come up with the best combination for the seven offensive linemen.”

After having a productive beginning to his NFL career, starting in 105 games in eight years, Manuwai was released by the Jaguars and sat out the entire 2011 season with an ankle injury.

Manuwai opened camp slated as the third guard behind one of last year’s starters at right guard, Garrett Reynolds and rookie Peter Konz.

Article by Zeke Trezevant

Zeke has written 69 articles for Atlanta Field Report.

Zeke Trezevant is a graduate of Western Michigan University. You can follow him on Twitter at @ZekeTrezevant.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: